Monday, September 5, 2011

Reading Blog 1

ARCS Ch. 2 and RT Intro to Part 1, Gorgias 42-46; Dissoi Logoi 47-55

I find kairos a very interesting concept.  I think it is interesting when an idea which seems to be relevant today, doesn't translate into English.  Kairos is a situational kind of time, or opportunity.  I like that it can be described as a lengthy amount of time, or an eventful instant.  The context and cultural influences have a big impact on kairos, as well as what is happening, time and place.  On a side note- I love the concept of shared cultural information.  To me, something that only makes sense to a certain culture really enhances the idea of community.

Plato's reaching truth is also very interesting.  Especially the concept of 'Truth' and 'truth.'  The Truth is external and discoverable.  People need to find out what the listener is going to do with it.  Could there be a potential threat with the knowledge of this Truth?  It is more of an education.  While truth is used in dialogs.  It recognizes the imperfections, it is used as a basis on how to act, while creating and using the social construction of culture.  This truth is completely subjective.  It is a truth we create personally.  I like the concept of two different truths.  I think even today there are multiple kinds and should be defined that way.  Especially with the differing subjective and objective opinions of so many people.  Everyone's perception of the truth is different, this concept provides an opportunity for more of a agreement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment