ARCS Ch. 5 and RT pp. 283-338 and 359-430
Logos
The logical proof includes ideas regarding the personal voice, speech, reason and therefore logic. I think this is a very effective proof. These logical methods are used to argue through many complex issues. The first, scientific demonstration, is used when experts accept the idea as truth. Dialectic argument is used when there is less certainty about the truth of the premise. The rhetorical method is used when the premise is a belief. And finally, false or contentious reasoning is used when the premise is based on a mistake or a lie. I find this appeal very influential on many levels. Using logic in this way to build an argument really provides a solid background of evidence. There is a lot that can be proved by supporting the topic thoroughly. I think that using this appeal correctly will produce a very effective argument.
Cicero
Cicero made his living as a lawyer. Good character was important to win a case for both the speaker and the client, so for the most part, Cicero lived a life of respect. His main claim to the development of rhetoric was the deliberative, forensic and ceremonial styles of writing. He also developed the five canons of rhetoric, invention, arrangement, style, memory and delivery. I find these canons remarkably straight forward. They are still very relevant today in creating a rhetorically effective piece. I find it interesting that rhetoric that was valid hundreds of years ago is still relevant today, even with such technological advancement.
No comments:
Post a Comment