Saturday, December 3, 2011

Reading Blog 16

November 14, 2011

Modern and Post-Modern Rhetoric Intro. 1181-1205
The fact that rhetoric was considered to be in a decline is a very interesting concept.  It truly is a valuable interdisciplinary theory of language and meaning.  Rhetoric really is everywhere.  When asked 'what is rhetoric?' there are many answers.  Is there only rhetoric in writing or performance, or anything literary related?  Or is rhetoric about how you present yourself and how you want to be seen by the world?  It could be considered both.  Picking out what I am wearing in the morning could be considered a form of visual rhetoric.  It would be saying one thing to people if I was wearing sweatpants to school, but something completely different if I was wearing a ball gown.  It seems as though cultural influences are very important in determining different types of rhetoric and their meanings.  For example, comedy is very different in various cultures.  Something that we think is funny here, or appropriate for one type of situation can be completely wrong for a different culture.  I find it interesting how this concept was rooted in such ancient ideas and it is still so valid to life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment