Saturday, December 3, 2011

Reading Blog 17

December 1, 2011

Toulmin 1410-1428, Foucault 1432-1436 and 1460-1470

Foucault
When I think of Foucault, rhetoric and discourse don't come to my mind.  I usually think of Discipline and Punish.  The concept of the prison where anyone could be watching is very interesting.  It makes people think they have no privacy, and they are always under surveillance means they never know who is watching them and cannot act out.  I think this is a revolutionary idea, especially in today's society.  Everything in our culture is based on surveillance.  People are being watched at every point in their lives.  Even through the media, America is based on what is seen, whether or not it is the truth is irrelevant.  I think that our culture is too based on the media.  How we view each other is the main judgment people pass.  Even with facebook, we can pass judgment and sit and survey others without anyone knowing.  It is almost creepy.  'Facebook stalking' and seeing what someone else is up to is amazingly common.  It makes me wonder who is watching me at any given point in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment